The “buddeez” program- has been initiated to develop friendship with a difference. Children with special needs have their own pace and ways of learning. They spend a good amount of time with therapies and other interventions. Many of them are not equipped with the social skills needed to make friends on their own. They are missing out on friendship which is an integral part of life. They want friends. Through this program we have successfully bridged the gap. We help them have friends who have been trained and prove to be amazing “buddeez”.
This is the first time that this program has been introduced in India.
The program encompasses
- Selecting children who want to make a difference.
- Briefing them about special needs children and empowering them with ideas to help.
- Creating buddies for children with special needs.
- The buddies can spend time with these children as per mutual availability of time and interests.
- They plan various activities centering around the child.
- It can be a walk at the park, a coffee shop, a birthday surprise, celebrating a festival, a movie at home, board games or just anything that friends do together.
- We have been successfully running this program since over a year and have received many feedbacks on the profound impact it has made in many lives.
Here we share excerpts from how the volunteers feel
- “I went home and cried when I saw what the child could not do”
- “I thanked God for the many blessing I have”
- “As I watched my buddy cycle, he seemed so happy. It made me realize how we complain about trivial things whilst happiness lies in the smallest of pleasures”